Thursday, October 27, 2005

::GEM Registration II

Remember GEM Registration I, where I tried and failed to get a GEM?

Today is my second chance.
This time I was smart. I logged in before 9am (start time).
Despite what they said, registration only started at 09:06.
Never mind.
So far so good.

So I click 'Search'.
I wait. I wait.
Same as last time. Nothing doing.
Half an hour later and still nothing doing.
Why?
Do I really have to get my fat ass over to Singapore Poly?

Therefore, I propose: Do away with GEM registration.
Firstly, because it's first-come-first-serve, it causes a massive jam in the beginning, when everybody tries to be the first to get the choices they want.
It's like everyone trying to squeeze in the door at once, less people actually get in than if they all queued up and only entered after the previous guy had done his business.
As a result, the people with slower connections are locked out.
Finally, when the jam clears, the people with slower connections can get in.
Then guess what they find? That they're stuck with shit courses cause all the good ones have been taken.
(What's that I hear? It's their fault for having slow connections?
How can you say something like that? ^%&&#^!!!!!)

The solution?
Learn from NUS. Do bidding.
People are given a number of points to use, and they use them to bid for the courses they want.
Highest bidder gets.
Like COE.